29 May 2010

Operation Write Home Memorial Day Blog Hop!

Hi there!

If you are part of the Operation Write Home Memorial Day Blog Hop, you must have come here from Kimber McGray's blog.  In that case, you have arrived at the correct place!  However, if you are not a participant in the blog hop, consider starting from the beginning.  There are a lot of blogs ahead of mine that you don't want to miss out on!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Operation Write Home, please allow me to share with you some information about this wonderful program.  There are a few ladies around the United States (who are quite amazing and dedicated) who have devoted their time to collect cards and send them to our service men and women across seas.  As a card maker, you can send as many cards to them as you wish.  To date, Operation Write Home has sent 400,000+ cards overseas.  Isn't that wonderful?  Better yet, try imagining how many homemade cards you could donate to this wonderful organization.  What a great way to be creative and support our troops!

Without further ado, I want to show a new card that I made just for this blog hop:


Our theme for this blog hop was appropriately red, white, and blue.  However, I had to sneak in a little yellow to make the card pop.  Although you can't really tell from the card, the star has foam underneath so that it lifts above the card.  I distressed the edges of both the yellow and white sheets of paper.  The base of the card is also distressed with Close to My Heart's Chocolate Distressing Ink.

On a much more serious note, the reason that these cards are made is to help support our service men and women who protect our freedom in the United States.  I could not be more appreciative of their efforts that they put forth every single day.  Each person that enlists has a little something extra inside of them that gives them courage and perseverance.

In this day and age, it's sometimes difficult to connect to our soldiers.  During World War II, (according to our history text), our nation was very much dedicated to the war movement.  While not to say that in 2010 our country is not supportive of our soldier's efforts, other "breaking news" tends to get in the way.  Operation Write Home is a special way to indirectly make a difference in our soldier's lives.  My simple hour or two of crafting can make 5-8 different cards.  In turn, those cards can be used to brighten up the day of our soldiers and their loved ones.  I couldn't ask for a better way to make a difference and based on the testimonies that Operation Write Home receives, I know that I'll be making cards for this organization for a long time to come.

For those of you who took part of our previous blog hop, you may remember learning from my blog that I started Operation Write Home service events on my college campus.  I am happy to report that my fellow classmates and myself have made 200+ cards this spring semester.  I can't wait to see how many cards we will churn out next semester!

In the mean time, it's best to continue on with our amazing blog hop.  By the way, can we give a round of applause to Miss Sandy Allnock?  I am amazed by the efforts she has taken to put this hop together! 

To hear the dedication of another stamper, please click this link that will take you to Erin Sim's blog. 

Also, my challenge to you is this: if you have the chance, put your American flag out this weekend.  While it may seem like a simple challenge, we just don't see many flags flying outside anymore.  Let's make our neighborhoods flourish with a little bit more red, white, and blue this Memorial Day weekend.  It may just inspire others to do the same.  :]

69 comments:

  1. Such a precious card and yes the yellow makes it pop so well.
    Keep up your great work for OWH.
    Stampin Hugs,
    Jeanine
    OWH TM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the card and well done rallying your fellow students :)

    Oh and our flag is flying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yellow almost looks like fabric... maybe just roughened edges? Your comments on the importance of support were so true. Good work with your campus friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice card. I love your techniques. Thanks for your great notes,too. I am so proud of you and your fellow classmates. Keep up your great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband just put the flag up this morning, it looks fabulous! I expect to see our neighbors out soon ;)

    Your card is fabulous also, I think the yellow pop of color is perfect! Thanks for your commitment to OWH, I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFUL card! Thanks for the reminder- I have not been outside yet today- too busy following the blog hop! I'm going to go put up our flag now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card! Love the distressing! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the card.. and the font... is that Hodgepodge?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty card! I love that gingham paper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great card - since yellow is my fave color, it's ALWAYS appropriate to sneak it in! :) :) :)

    Thanks for all you're doing getting your campus involved---every one of us has a part!

    My flag is out and flying proud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your sweet little card and yes, I prefer red, white and blue with a little gold or yellow myself! Great job! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card! Thanks for hopping with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card! Great job getting your fellow students involved! And, as a military wife, let me say thank you for sharing your creativity to help bring families closer who are separated by duty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful and inspiring post Brittany. It's so exciting to hear how you've gotten your classmates involved. Great job on the card too. I love the distressing. I need to try more of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live just outside an AF base, so we have an unusual percentage of houses with flags. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, what a great card! I love the unfussy look of it and the solid colors you chose. Ver nice work!

    Thanks for supporting OWH!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute card,I love it!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great card! I agree--the yellow is a perfect pop on there! What a great thing you've done getting your college campus involved in OWH and cardmaking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your bit of yellow! Great card. And big thanks to Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The distressing on this card is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved your card, yep the yellow makes it pop

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE this card..the yellow is great on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This layout would work for so many other occassions. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful card and thank you for remembering the flag!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful cards AND challenge! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I ALWAYS fly my American flag. Thanks for rallying your fellow students to make cards for OWH! Love the gingham paper on your card! Thanks for supporting our Heroes and OWH
    R/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your card -- especially the gingham look.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely post! Thank you for sharing your pretty card and your thoughts! Many thanks for all the cards you make for OWH to send to our military heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aw, I'm putting out a bunch of flags in our newly renovated garden after tonight's rain. Thought lots of flags in tons of sizes would be a nice tribute!


    Thanks for posting today.

    xoxo
    Lindsey @ ScrapStreet

    ReplyDelete
  30. How great that you got the students to make & send 200 cards!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your card and what a great challenge (reminder)! My husband puts a flag out everyone day which reminds me I need to get him a new one since it has faded with time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. my flag is flying this weekend!
    love the yellow touch to your card

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Sweetie...
    I am Country Wings your newest follower. Oh how I love this beautiful card that you have created. I love country and this has country written all over it. It is outstanding. Love it. You really hit the nail on the head so to speak.

    Thank you for inspiring me to create. I have never made a card but after following this blog hop I am going to create some to send in for the OWH too. What a wonderful way to give back to the soldiers and allow them something to send back to family and friends. I am so overjoyed. I have been a shut in now for a month and have at least 2 more weeks of being shut in. My lungs have been giving me some problems along with acute asthma so I have to stay indoors. I have been wanting something to do while in my recliner. You all have given me that something. I thank you for inspiring me. I am going searching through out the house today to see what I might have to create to. Thank you my friend for the inspiration.

    Please stop by and say hi. I would be so honored if you signed up to follow my blog as well. I love meeting new friends. Country hugs sweetie...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a cute card! Thank you for sharing - I love how you did your edges! And that yellow is a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your card is wonderful and I especially enjoyed the fact you kept the Red, White and Blue but were able to OUTLINE the MISS YOU to stand out and not compromise the theme. Terrific and perfect!
    Thank you for participating with OWH.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Flag is out! Love your card and the LO is great! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fantastic card. I have a beaded flag on my door year round.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your card gives home feel. Not sure if it is a country style, or a quilt look in it. And I think the yellow does add that extra touch. Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love your card!!! Thanks for your efforts for OWH..we really appreciate it!!! Flag is proudly out in front of house!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Lovely card...Thank you for supporting our troops and OWH!

    ~Courtney~

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is such a cute card! You did a great job!

    XOXO,
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love your card and that yellow does make it pop. More importantly, I love seeing a young person with such an understanding of what freedom costs. Thank you for your participation.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love your card and our flag is out. My husband was in the Vietnam War and we always fly our flag. Thanks for sharing.

    Linda D.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a great card, and thanks for the sadly true challenge to get the Flag up this weekend!
    Happy Crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I like how you used the circles in the background! Nice card!

    ReplyDelete
  46. My flag is out! Yay. But there are not many flying which is so sad. Hopefully tomorrow we will see some. Love your cards, they are so vibrant and lively. They will be treasured for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Cute card! I like the little yellow frame around the saying. :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. cute card! and way to go on making cards at your college!

    ReplyDelete
  49. AMEN!! and I love your card, it is also REFRESHING to hear of college AGE Americans being supportive of our troops. My own 24 yo son and 23 yo daughter...are not supportive...the son always says this isn't our war, we shouldn't over there...and some people have totally convinced him that the American gov't was behind the twin towers "Blowing up"...the 23 yo daughter who dated a guy in the navy, that was over there for a while on his Aircraft carrier (he is now out) says...I do not get it, and I don't want to...I hate politics. Thank God My older daughter has a little bit of a better handle on things. My dad fought in WWII, and because of his short stature, had to fight with them to let him enlist. The difference in Generations, and patriotism in this country over-all, disgusts me. SO...you made my day!!!

    Thank you, and obviously Thank your parents, as they were able to get the message across to you, better than I was able to do.
    (I even made a toast at dinner last night, hubby chimed in also (he's a vet) and they both had that look like oh jeez on their face...but I know my dad heard me in heaven, and was proud, and that made me proud, and thus not letting them wreck my mood, LOL)

    God bless you!
    Susan
    (78 on this list)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Nice use of the distressing.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  51. Great card. Good call on the yellow. Thanks for all that you do at your school to get more cards for the military families.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Your card is wonderful! Yes, that yellow really makes it pop! Thank you and the other students with you, for your support of our troops!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thanks for sharing. Love the card, but I love to make them for OWH, so any help I can get with ideas, comes from people like you!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Such a great card - I love it. Thanks to you & the students for all you do supporting the troops. You're right (applauds for Sandy)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Nice card. I agree, we don't see as many flags flying any more, even on holidays like this one. I remember right after 9/11 you couldn't even find a flag to buy so many people were buying them. It's a shame that something like that has to happen to unite the country in patriotism. Thank goodness for OWH and the Blog Hopping weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Your card is very cute!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    Happy Memorial Day!
    God Bless our Soldiers & their families!

    ~Ola
    okj83 at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  57. yes thank goodness for OWH, your card is really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  58. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Love the card! Simply Sweet! Thanks for all you do for OWH & supporting the men in women in the armed forces.
    : ) Susan [sbartist.blogspot.com]

    ReplyDelete
  60. These is great. I totally thought that was a frame on the front in yellow at first glance!

    Corinna
    www.myscrapbooklife.com

    ReplyDelete
  61. Great card. That is awesome amount of cards you and your fellow classmates made.

    ReplyDelete